Rest (for the seven dwarfs)

I had a moment after a wonderful Christmas of complete and utter querulousness. (I had to look it up, too) Sometimes I feel like I bounce between the characteristics of Dopey, Happy, and Grumpy on even my best days. Who knew the seven dwarfs personalities could be inhabited in one person. 
*raises hand*

 I realized at the beginning of break that I need to be on my guard when the temptation to take a break from life comes up. I needed to rest, but what does that mean? Rest is looked for by everyone, is it not? How does one truly find rest in every situation? 
So I looked "rest" up too.

REST - A body is at rest when it ceases to move; the mind is at rest when it ceases to be disturbed or agitated; the sea is never at rest hence, quiet; repose; a state free from motion or disturbance; a state of reconciliation to God. (Websters 1828)

Vigilant, yet peaceful. Aware of battles, but completely confident in our Victor - Jesus Christ.

You know what they are. Your battles. 
 Mine are not that different. 
Relying on your own strength. Telling God, "later, okay? I'm busy." Dwelling on thoughts that cripple you unawares, having a selfish focus, or mumbling about how the world and the people in it are not going out of the way to make you happy! I'm sure you thought of a few you have going right now.

Getting stuck in the drudgery of mechanical ministry and life takes it's toll, and Paul's instruction to "examine yourselves" get's forgotten. (2 Cor. 13:5)
For many it isn't recognized until our feet are so slogged down and we are blind to the point that others (who love you enough to tell you to shape up) turn you back to the truth of "seek ye first the kingdom...and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matt. 6:33

No Him, no rest. 
Know Him, know rest.

"Know ye not your own selves? Persons ought not to rest ignorant  and unresolved about their own state, whether they are real Christians or not." 
//Jonathan Edwards//

Who are we? We are simply - sinful, changeable souls, forever needing the perspective of God  - Who is the Unchangeable Standard. 
Whatever battle we are in, if we look to Him and wish to see, our sight is righted. 
He gives true rest to the soul. 

What then are we seeking? Our own different and unique place of repose? Do we find it in education? In a husband or boyfriend? In being understood? In expressing ourselves by whatever standard or non-standard we desire?  

We shall not find it in anything but the person of Jesus Christ. He is our perfect peace. (Isaiah 26:3) In that peace, everything else seems to be covered in a veil of joy - even the times of affliction.

How sweet it is to be afflicted by Him, the One who died for you and me. Even this week of being Grumpy, Dopey, Happy...all of the emotions - it has brought me to the reminder that He is my peace.

"Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep Your Word...if is good for me that I was afflicted, so that I might learn Your statutes...teach me Your statutes"
(Psalm 119:68,71)


- In His Grip -
Me (otherwise known as: GrumpyHappyDopeyBashfulSneezySleepyDoc)







Comments

Popular Posts